A few weeks ago I had the good fortune to visit Sophie Harle (of Shiko) in her Brunswick studio. Sophie was super generous in sharing several tidbits of useful technical info about her process. Since this visit I have been especially revelling in the joys of making beakers and mugs without turning them over and trimming them on the wheel, thanks to a handy and quick tidy-up method she showed me.
Freedom from trimming has allowed me up to spend more time experimenting with vessel shapes and sizes - heaps more fun! This is one shape I've tried out recently. These beakers are subtly dimpled on two sides (gave them a pinch with thumb and finger while they are drying) and it makes them nice to hold.
I had a very nice day last Saturday and Made 'n Thornbury Craft Market. It's always a very friendly and supportive atmosphere and it's totally dissolved the market phobia I used to have (thanks largely the the great attitude of fellow stallholders). Thanks to all the lovely folks who visited me and offered kind words and/or bought some pieces!
Sunday, 4 May 2014
Market day is approaching! I'm having a stall (again) at my local and lovely Made 'n Thornbury craft market next saturday (May 10). I love the supportive and friendly atmosphere of this little market. One day (maybe soon) I will branch out to the bigger market scene, but for now I'm happy for this to be my one.
The past two weeks I've been busy dunking and pouring glaze, trying to clear the bisque shelf. It's been very satisfying to see some stock building up. It's great to see the conclusion of a few projects too... like my first batch of lidded jars.
These are the successful ones - but there were also a few less successful, such as one where the jar lid distorted and wasn't round enough for the lid. The very first ones, which featured in this earlier post, were thwarted by bad luck - the coloured slip I used to do the stencil decoration came out a really off-putting brown, reminiscent of overdone fake tan (I had thought I'd tested this slip...) then a kiln loading mishap when doing a second glaze firing (the first one wasn't hot enough for clear glaze to become transparent) concluded with two of the jars with lids permanently fused. Just as well I didn't like the look of them anyway! A few lessons learned though, so that's all good.
I've also been trying to generally get my space a bit more organised in the past week. A bit of a studio clean up was in order and to the extent that I've managed it it feels good. Then I saw this post by Carter Gillies on knolling (which I understand is a sort of compulisive organising of objects into like shapes and sizes).... and I see that I have a long way to go!